How do we do that? Alice Walker pinpoints what’s holding most of us back with her insightful quote: “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
It’s that single misperception that keeps many of us enslaved to jobs, relationships, and lifestyles that make us miserable. But no more! It’s our time to break free from the mental chains that bind us. We don’t need self-help books, gurus or magic pills. All we have to do is own and exercise our power to choose.
I know that sounds too simple to be true, but it really does work. In fact, as creatures of free will exercising our right to choose is how we were designed to operate. And yet, we’re fearful because we know that “along with freedom comes responsibility”. Heaven forbid that we make the wrong choice and have no one to blame but ourselves.
Listen, I figure we have two choices – be brave enough to LIVE our lives or simply just be alive. I don’t know about you, but I want to actively participate in charting the course of my life. Everyday, I want to exercise my power to choose.
Now just to be clear – I’m not suggesting that we take God’s place. He is the Supreme Being, and has a plan for all of our lives that is for our ultimate good. Do I believe in destiny? Absolutely. Do I think we get there without any effort? No. Destiny sets our beginning and our end. The course of our journey depends greatly upon the choices we make, or allow someone else to make for us.
God expects us to make good choices based on the direction He gives. So where do we start? Here are six choices you can make today that will change your world!
- Choose Freedom. In order to move forward in life, we must loose ourselves from the shackles of guilt, shame and defeat. Just as God forgives us, we must also forgive ourselves. It’s the only way to have peace in the right now as we work to be better.
- Choose Happiness. Everyday may not be a ‘good’ day, but there’s always something good in it. Train your mind to focus on the good and forget about trying to fix everything before you decide to enjoy the journey.
- Choose Surrender. We’re constantly trying to swim upstream. Sometimes we need to stop and look around, see where God is already working. We’re not always meant to fight against the current. In some seasons, we’re meant to ride the wave to our next destination. Let’s surrender to His plans, not our own.
- Choose Abundance. If we focus on what we don’t have, we’ll never have enough. Embrace the spirit of abundance. Believe God’s promises for your life. Trust that there is always more available than the eye can see, and Know that the vision always comes with provision.
- Choose Courage. Owning our choices isn’t easy, but eventually we’ll get sick of living out someone else’s. Rather than getting upset about our circumstances, let’s channel that energy into changing them. We have the power! Let’s be courageous enough to use it.
- Choose Faith. If we depend on transient things to see us through – such as our jobs and bank accounts – we’ll constantly be let down. But faith in God allows us to live fully in the moment while trusting that the future holds our good. We don’t have to worry that there won’t be enough. He owns it all. We don’t have to worry about ruining our lives. He forgives and restores. We don’t have to worry about being smart enough, pretty enough, or rich enough. He is everything, and you are enough!
In Everyday, We Choose I challenged you to write a love note to you – affirming your right to choose. Now, it’s time to live it. Will we always make the right choice? Nope! But trust me, it’s all right for us to fail our way forward.
Let’s together choose to live our lives fully, completely and abundantly! I believe God’s got some incredible surprises in store for us all. Be sure to drop us a line so we can do the happy dance when they appear.
Loving on Me as I Love You! Hugs and Blessings ❤